(C) London Marathon, press conference for Flora 1000 Mile Challenge, December 2002
(C) London Marathon, press conference for Flora 1000 Mile Challenge, December 2002



Also look at News for

December 2016

The month started with the Rudolph’s Romp 24 miles. Myself, Bill and dog Baxter all ran this event. The weather was good and managed to complete this 20 minutes quicker than last year. Even Bill and Baxter broke 5 hours which was their longest run of the year. I repeated the night race that was first run last month and happy to report that a new, much brighter head torch and a recce of the route in daylight lead to a successful run this time and Bill a couple of minutes behind me.

After that I eased off the mileage in preparation for a 6 day race taking place in Phoenix, Arizona, USA from 28th December Ė 3rd January. This event should have a webcam and live tracking results. The event website is https://www.aravaiparunning.com/acrosstheyears/ Bill will try to update facebook and twitter daily if there is internet access.

I wish you all a Happy Christmas and fit and healthy 2017.

November 2016

The first weekend of the month was the Kilburn Kanter, much less wet than the previous year and few minutes faster to finish with, but there was some bitterly cold showers that turned wintery on the high points with some strong winds. Also completed this month was the Wensleydale Wander. This was a bitterly cold day with deep snow on the high points well over 2 feet deep and deep mud on the lower parts of the race. A new route from Castle Bolton back to Askrigg was a big improvement and kept below the snow line, but that didnít prevent me from getting another personal worst for this event. Both are superbly well organised and great value for money.

My other debut this month was into a night race. Only a short, local trail event, but a few lessons learned the hard way in that one. My head torch was poor, I was unable to see the ground ahead and finally took a wrong track and ended up in some rather wet and muddy Portrack Marshes as Bill stayed on the correct route and finished ahead!

October 2016

High mileage was planned for this month and longer races. The first weekend was the Pathfinder 25, an off-road event with much climbing. The result was very slow in just under 5 hrs, good enough for 2nd lady. A week later the Round Rotherham 50 miles, starting with some very tired legs. I had hoped for a sub 10 hour clocking and was pleased with the 9 hrs 17 minute results, only 4th lady unfortunately (also my 9th completion of this event). The following week I ran in the Locke Park 10 miles and to finish the month a birthday marathon at Newcastle Town Moor. My asthma got the better of me in that event and struggled to finish with much walking to control my breathing. A good training month with many miles run.

September 2016

Onwards and upwards, the big plans for next year are beginning to take shape, not to be revealed just yet, but there is another world record attempt on the horizon. For now it was continuing to keep in shape and try to work further on my speed. I took on a new speedwork regime involving HIIT (high intensity interval training). Much shorter in time span but much harder in effort. I gained a seasonís best in the local Tees Pride 10km, nothing fantastic but happy with a 45 minute 10km and took a few seconds off my 5km best for the year a few days later.

My training programme is now geared towards another 6 day race. I am now hoping to take part in the Across the Years 6 day race from 28th December 2016 Ė 3rd January 2017. This falls conveniently in the holidays from University and is run around a ranch in Phoenix, Arizona. The weather should be pleasant during the day, but a little cold overnight.

August 2016

Due to having much time off work during the summer months it was time to capitalise on that and I was off to Italy again for some running in the sun. Lake Orta, near Milan in Italy was the destination, and the running was 10 marathons in 10 days. A wonderful event in the sunshine, usually around 35 degrees, and the lake to cool down in upon completion each day. The course was quite challenging in places, but absolutely picturesque, mainly on tarmac but a few gravel and dirt tracks thrown in. The marathon was the same every day, which was good for logistics and comparison of my endurance. After a cautious first day I continued to run consistently every day, the resultant times:

Marathon 1: 4 hrs 25 mins Marathon 2: 4 hrs 15 mins Marathon 3: 4 hrs 07 mins Marathon 4: 4 hrs 09 mins Marathon 5: 4 hrs 12 mins Marathon 6: 4 hrs 09 mins Marathon 7: 4 hrs 06 mins Marathon 8: 4 hrs 13 mins Marathon 9: 4 hrs 16 mins Marathon 10: 4 hrs 11 mins

The overall result was 42 hours, 07 minutes and 28 seconds of running for the 262 miles. A good, solid performance, 2nd lady and 7th overall of the 43 finishers in this event. This gave me great confidence for moving forward, my recovery was good and ran 9 of the 10 marathons within a 10 minute time frame from 4hrs 6 mins to 4 hrs 16 mins. The best part was the medal collection, 10 interconnecting medals that made one massive medallion, enough metal for my bag to be searched by security at the airport!

With the last marathon being on a Monday, I flew back to the UK late on Tuesday and arrived home on the Wednesday. On Thursday I was running a trail race at Guisborough. I clocked up 6 races in addition to the marathons this month, was running well and had no injuries, but I had to say goodbye to the planned 6 day race in South Africa due to work commitments.

July 2016

By the start of this month I was back into consistent training and again making plans for another 6 day race. I competed in 11 races this month, starting with the Hamsterley Marathon and finishing with a seasonís best parkrun at Linwood in Glasgow. I had planned to run a 6 day race in South Africa later on in the year, but the event still had a good few corners in the races and so needed to mimic the course in training and strengthen my ankles. I did many more off road events, much more race-walking than normal and additional balance board work. I even took part in a race walking event, 6 miles in 63 mins, good enough for first person!

June 2016

The 6 day race in Policoro went badly wrong from a very early stage. The course had lots of shade, the food good, but many more sharp corners than anticipated. From the map of the course I knew it would twist and turn around the campsite, but on leaving the campsite it looked like two sides of a square to run on the straight. Not so, the straight was a zig-zag path on a bit of a camber and the corners sharper than anticipated. My ankle swelled up by the end of the first day of running, not strong enough to take so many corners. I found this frustrating and so took some rest and iced the area in the hope of continuing. I had several more attempts but within a few miles each time the swelling returned and called it a day. As much as I felt fit enough to have a good performance, my ankles needed some strengthening to take the punishment of this event so we turned to plan B. We were by the sea, the weather was hot and sunny, we had plenty of food and ice-cream and so swam and run in the swimming pool and had a relaxing time for the remainder of the event and it was back to the drawing board.

May 2016

My recovery did not take long and within days of Hardmoors I was out running again. After two weeks I had run a hilly half marathon and after three weeks a marathon. I ran 6 races in 9 days leading up to that marathon. I was now keen to enter my next event, a 6 day race in Italy. I had run in this event last year but the venue has moved from Pantano to Policoro, with a smaller loop of 1km rather than nearly 6km and some shade for the runners under pine groves. The food and organisation had been fantastic, my performance terrible. But I now felt ready for a challenge. Apparently there will be a live webcam for you to watch this one, hopefully I will manage to update you with specific details before leaving, but if not the website may direct you. The event is from 3pm on Sunday 5th Ė Saturday 11th June 2016. This event is championchipped so you should be able to find live tracking results of how far the participants have run. My best distance for 6 days is 750km, run in Athens in 2011 which still stands as the British record.


All that is left now is to taper!

April 2016

After two weeks I returned for the wrist to be reviewed, the pot rendered soft from frequent dampness from both the weather and sweat and was removed. I wore a brace for the next 4 weeks which was much more comfortable an allowed for much more movement. The training continued.

Two weeks after the Canalathon 100km was the Wensleydale Wander (23 miles), which was very enjoyable, the week after the local Guisborough Moors race. A shorter event but with steeper climbs and I had a very slow run at this as I did not want to suffer any muscle damage with the Hardmoors 110 at the end of the month.

On Wednesday 27th April I achieved my seasons best 5km of 22 mins and 02 seconds ready for the Hardmoors 110 on Saturday 30th April. I had been over the entire route in the previous two weeks and planned all the support points and estimated times for Bill to support me.

On the day it was a cold start but the sun was to come out. By Ravenscar at 22 miles there were several women ahead and I was in 49th position overall. I had run slowly and my schedule had been written to break 28 hours, although in reality I had no idea what I could achieve. The goal as before was simply to finish in good shape. I thoroughly enjoyed the next coastal section up and down Boggle Hole to Robin Hoods Bay and then Whitby. Whitby was horrendous, a traffic jam of people enjoying the Bank Holiday weekend.

On to Saltburn and 53 miles and my only planned stop to wash my feet and change shoes after a couple of sand sections. It was getting colder now and on my arrival the first lady had just left, but I was to have my only break of the day as the sun began to fade. The race had started at 8am (or 20 mins late by the time we actually got going) and my schedule had me here for 7:15pm. It was around 7:45pm by the time I left, so not too far off my schedule.

The next support point at Slapeworth was where darkness fell. I put on a gortex jacket and head torch as it was to go below freezing for the night. By the time I reached Highcliffe Nab I had overtaken the first lady (not that I knew that at the time and it wasnít until the finish that I would have this confirmed). Roseberry Topping was followed by Captain Cooks Monument and a long downhill to Kildale (68 miles), where pizza had just come out of the oven and a slice went down very well. The long climb to Bloworth Crossing followed and Bill was not expecting me 30 minutes early at Clay Bank. It was freezing and seemed to take ages conquering the three sisters in darkness and was feeling pretty drained climbing Carlton Bank around 4am.

Dawn began to break and by Osmotherley (90 miles) the daylight brought renewed energy and I was now running again with the finish almost in sight. By the time Helmsley was reached it was just beginning to rain and was wonderful to arrive ahead of schedule in 26 hours 34 minutes and be confirmed as the first lady and 18th overall. A couple of hours slower than I have previously run this event but at this stage in my training and with not putting full effort in I was very content.

March 2016

My parkruns were now consistently starting with 22 minutes and that speed goal achieved already. The Locke Park 20 was a slow run for me, but kept the pace steady and didnít slow down. The following week was the Cleveland Survival Marathon. This was an off-road event that required navigation, but a simple fall only a few miles in and I knew instantly that I had broken my wrist. I continued but could not use my left hand and folding maps to do the navigation and climbing styles and covering rough ground was giving me much pain. The organisers were fantastic, the medical staff giving pain relief and strapping up my wrist and allowed me to continue. After falling in a bog over my knees it was around half way that I decided to call it a day. The disappointment was having a solid heavy pot put on my wrist that was to remain in place for the Canalathon 100km planned the following week.

I did a couple of short mid-week runs with the pot on and although it became very damp inside there was nothing to stop me from running the 100km. The organisers actively encouraged support, and as the event was a 50km out and back course along the canal from Sowerby Bridge to Manchster, Bill decided to cycle the middle 40 miles to fill my water bottles as I could not screw the lids to refill them. This was fantastic to have him close by in case I struggled with this event. The event was into a strong head wind for the first 50km with frequent heavy rain showers. After half way the sun came out before it started to turn darker and blacker and one almighty thunder storm hit. The hail stung and turned the path white, there was nothing to do but to carry on. Bill was relieved when his cycle was over as the course was now pretty muddy in places and the frequent dips and climbs to road crossing, locks and bridges did not make this a completely flat course. I was still running strongly by the finish, my back and shoulder aching more than my legs and did a pretty even split for the event, finishing as 4th lady.

February 2016

The hard training began in the depths of winter, frequently running to work and home with intervals and hill reps mid-week. At the start of the month was a very misty, cold and muddy Rombalds Stride (23 miles) and two weeks later the Leas Marathon, the week after that was St Peters Way Ultra, 45 miles and my first real challenge. I was heavily trained going into these events with progressively more mileage and at the start of the 45 miles I was already running on very tired legs, but the goal simply to finish strong and not worry about positions and time. I did have a few navigational issues on this event being outside of my normal running area and by 15 miles felt like I had already run a marathon. I kept going and really didnít feel much worse at the 30 mile point and by the time the finish line was reached I was pleased to receive my first trophy of the year for 3rd lady. Even more pleasing was to finish feeling absolutely fine and I had not lost that endurance aspect that had been missing for 2015.

January 2016

The year started with a parkrun double near Glasgow, the day after the marathon. I ran a few events, the Filey Flyer (23 miles) in early January started well, a week later was another Winter Wonderland Marathon, but in very icy conditions that slowed progress. My parkrun times finally dipped under 24 minutes by the end of the month. It was the end of the month by the time I managed to see a hospital consultant to agree a higher dose of the medication and a solution was found, but it was mid-February by the time a balanced dose was agreed. This in place I now had confidence to move forward with my training and commit to a structured programme again with 3 events pencilled in to assess progress. The 14 week programme began on 25th January and would see me run the 45 miles of St Peters Way at the end of February, the Canalathon 100km the end of March and the Hardmoors 110 miles the end of April. The goals for these were simply to finish strong and be able to continue training within a week without specific time goals. I also wanted to improve my parkrun times which had taken a big nose dive and were languishing around the 25-26 minutes to around the 22-23 minutes by the end of April.


Site map Contact us